Wednesday, September 7, 2011

CV - Indispensable


Corner View is a weekly appointment - each Wednesday - created by Jane and currently curated by Francesca, where bloggers from all corners of the world share their view on a pre-arranged theme. If you'd like to join in, please leave a link to your Corner View post in the comments at www.fuoriborgo.com, and be sure to visit other participants, too.

Aside from the obvious items needed to live - food (esp Thai food), water (esp tonic with a splash of gin) and oxygen - books are indispensable to me.  And by books, I mean real, paper and ink BOOKS.  Old School books. Not ebooks.  Nothing that involves a Kindle, Nook or other electrconic device.  Real books.  Books that you can hold, smell, write in, highlight... 





And coming from a family of readers and book sharers, years ago we started signing the books after we read them so we'd know who was next on the rotation.  Now, when anyone reads one of my books, I make them sign it.  It's nice to pull a book off the shelf and see the name of an old friend or family member.  Having moved a lot in my life, it is often a sentimental reminder of certain time and place in my life.  Sometimes I'll pull a book off the shelf and see my late Aunt Madeline's tiny scrawl or my late Aunt Shirley's flowery signature and I smile, feeling connected to them by holding something they once held.



15 comments:

  1. Books are important. I like the signing legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a book lover myself and I used to sign all my books. I like your idea getting them rotated and signed.
    Nowadays I try to get rid of at least some of my books. Lack of place and the wish to own less.

    Happy reading!
    Tally

    ReplyDelete
  3. with you on the g&t, love... ;)))

    and also on the books, actually. i should probably never say never, but i can't imagine enjoying a story as much flat out on a screen, as from leafs in an 'old fashioned' book. oh, and such a fancy, moving way of letting people sign the books they have read from your book shelf! it's so much better than the author's paragraph, i'm sure!!!!

    on the crochet, etc subject - just stay tuned, heather. i've said it before, i almost daren't day it out loud no more, but by the month of december, all will be revealed a little more!

    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very nice idea, the signing of the books! and I totaly agree with you about their "indispensability". I wish you a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how beautiful! it must be such a comfort to open something that someone dear has held and read and been filled with. a time capsule.

    we love old school books, too. the feel of them, the smell of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've followed my CV blog yo know we definitely agree about the indespensability of books and . . . lots of them in as many rooms as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the books... love them too.
    And I love the idea of signing them after reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A person after my own heart--books, precious books shelved and stacked and cherished! That's a wonderful tradition. I always write a To: and From: and a brief note and the date on the front of every book I give. My daughter now does the same for those she gives me. I just recently lifted one from a moving box to see my childish scrawl and then the notation from my mother to me and the date. Brought a few tears--the good kind--the kind that say I was loved (ya know?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I very much like your idea of food and water :) And the signing tradition too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to that! There can never be enough books in a household...

    (My FIL had this thing about signing all books he read, even if they didn't belong to him. Many a library book is out there with his handwriting in it!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. G&T - indispensable when you need a refreshing drink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES. I'm all for online but, seriously, hands off my real books ;)

    ReplyDelete