Wednesday, October 26, 2011

CV - Exotic

Corner View is a weekly appointment - each Wednesday - created by Jane and currently curated by Francesca, where bloggers from all corners of the world share their view on a pre-arranged theme. If you'd like to join in, please leave a link to your Corner View post in the comments at www.fuoriborgo.com, and be sure to visit other participants, too.

The following are photographs of my Japanese Silk Trees.  I had not heard of them before I bought my current house.  The lady I bought the house from told me what they were, so I hope that's correct as she also told me that my orange tree was a lemon tree - boy did I think I was clever growing oranges on my lemon tree.  (The seller had led quite a fascinating life.  She was in her early-80s, had been married half a dozen times and had a number of careers - including jazz singer.  As a singer, she toured all over Europe in the 60s and 70s singing at clubs.  I didn't even mind when the inspectors and contractors were late to appointments during the purchase as I got to listen to her stories.)  Anyhow, back to the trees... not only is the bark visually interesting (and a little scary), it blooms and produces the most beautiful hot pink flowers that are very similar to orchids. Sadly, the trees are not currently in bloom.




17 comments:

  1. What great bark. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible and strange tree........ so exotic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I've never seen that before! Really exotic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a fascinating tree. There are quite a few of them around here. I posted some pictures of it a while ago: http://dorteinmalaga.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/the-thorny-tree/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I think that this is the most exotic thing I've seen on my travels around the corner view realm today. So strange.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting. There is a tree that grows in our forest called, "Devil's Walking Stick" that has similar bark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow ! that is wildly exotic !!

    i think it is hilarious, your comment about growing oranges on your lemon tree ! ha ha

    here is mine ... http://bonnie-simple-beauty.blogspot.com/2011/10/exotic-corner-view.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That tree bark is a bit scary! It seems highly protective of something! Very exotic and cool! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen these before - definitely exotic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting house you are living in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tree looks funny. I like listening to the biographies of other people, sometimes they are very exotic. Jazz Singer on tour in Europe, which is so different, but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. first time I see this kind of tree ... fascinating !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen some of those spiky trees in a public garden in Nice, which seemed a litttle odd. Maybe they thought they were lemon trees?:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Fabulous looking tree - and very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen something similr in South africa, but cannot remember the name... Really beautiful bark!

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay. your dear old lady lead a pretty exotic life, even if she mistook lemons for oranges, which is understandable...
    n♥

    ReplyDelete